1.23.2009

Uncompromising

Isaiah 40:28-31

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.



So this week I watched the the Obama inauguration in school and it started off with the music and the invocation prayer and stuff. Normally I'm not really an avid follower of politics or anything but I guess I paid more attention because the gay community is all in uproar about Warren being picked to deliver the invocation. Anyways so at the end I was a little disappointed (esp. after watching the Brittany McComb video)because Warren seemed a little.....eh. He didn't preach Christ or eternal life; most of his speech was pretty much passive and vague enough to satisfy pretty much everyone. The point of me saying this is not to criticize the guy, but I guess I feel sort of responsible. This is really cheesy I know, but some day the kids in my grade are all going to be grown up and we're going to be leading America. Most of the time I feel like a lot of the Christian youth I meet are too passive, too willing to give up their beliefs in exchange for outward acceptance. Either that or I guess we kind of have a desensitized view on the fragile state of life and the immense gift Christ offers us. You probably can't compare a speech made up by a high school valedictorian to a speech read at the inauguration of the first black President (with millions watching), and certainly there is a lot of pressure to avoid controversy...but still, I think values should still stand, regardless. There seems to be a fine line between being tactful about evangelism and compromising the message of Christ to the point where you only skim the very surface and never actually get to the heart of Scripture at all. haha...I seem to be getting sidetracked. Anyways, I just feel as someone who is starting to get older I should try harder to examine my life and make sure that I'm not compromising anything. In the end I will only face God's judgment. My favorite verses of that passage are the last two; even though I may stumble or grow weak, the Lord will renew me. His strength is going to be what will carry me through, what will help me lead an uncompromised life, a life for Christ.

2 comments:

Stephen Kim said...

I had a chance to see Rick Warren's invocation. I had the same sentiments. He only mentioned the name of Jesus as he closed his prayer in His name.

What a wasted opportunity. You made some great points...let's live uncompromising lifestyles...He is worth it.

J to da P said...

i second, well.... triple P.S. (PAstor Stephen) and yourself...

i thought the prayer was....nice, yet too "passive" as well.

overjoyed to hear Rick Warren was going to pray over our nation and its' new president... a bit disappointed when heard, but i hope and pray that it opens hearts to a God who is bigger than our president, and bigger than religion.

stay encouraged this week Polly, we serve an everlasting God

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! =)