1.31.2009

So this week our english teacher wanted us to write essays for a competition. The essay topic was basically to write about a woman we regard in high esteem...I picked my grandmother. I realized she is someone I admire because she is for me, an example of a woman of Christ. She was far from perfect, but after she was saved she lived her life with a strength and hope that could only come from Christ. I realized that throughout her life she extended the love of Christ to whoever she met. In low spiritual times I wonder if my faith is just an act--my grandmother's sons, for the most part, rejected Christ after my grandmother died. My mother, as well as my older brother, have rejected Christ. I wonder if this is will happen to me too, that putting up a pretense of faith is for all intents and purposes, "hereditary"...

and through these treacherous thoughts this is one of the verses that appears in my mind:

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV

I've heard this verse spoken zillions of times and I think it's just so simple and powerful. There is no doubt in my mind nor heart that Christ died for us; that the saving power of His grace is all we need and He will never leave our side. Now that I'm writing this I guess this can be related to the Spiritual Disciplines book. If you guys don't have it,get it...it's pretty straightforward and really puts things in the proper perspective. Anyway, there's this part where Whitney talks about why believers should memorize Scripture--without the Word of God stored in our hearts, how can we know what He wants us to do when a Bible isn't nearby? Verses are our weapons against Satan, against the daily temptations and thoughts he puts into our minds. The Holy Spirit will work in us and bring verses to mind that will help us through our problems. This verse was especially comforting to me because it says "do not be discouraged"....a reminder of perseverance against the world, and the trust that I put into the truth of Christ.

1 comment:

Stephen Kim said...

Polly,

I was encouraged to read about your grandmother's faith.

See Christ for who He is--YOUR Savior, the Lover of your soul. Treasure Christ. You'll never surrender an ultimate treasure.

God bless you.