2.06.2009

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Colossians 3:23 NIV

This is a really simple verse that I am trying to apply to my own life because I think it gets straight to the point of how we should live as believers. If we don't give over every aspect of our life to God, our faith is false. To claim faith to the Lord only when we're inside a church building or in front of our christian friends/family members is useless and in time, only harms ourselves in that we have deprived ourselves from a chance of true salvation in Christ. For my own spiritual life this is something I've thought about a lot, because at first I didn't really understand the verse. We are commanded by Scripture to live our lives so that the work that we do will glorify God's image and not our own. Thus, even the things I do in my daily ritual that seem trivial to me should be magnified in their importance because they are for God and dedicated to His glory. But things like swim practice, washing dishes, doing my homework....how were these things at all related to glorifying God? Even though it may not be straightforwardly glorifying God like we do when we sing praise songs and prayer, it is still work. When I do homework, it is (I hope) to improve my mind and at the very least my discipline. An improved mind and discipline can be used to gain a better understanding of Scripture and my spiritual relationship with God. Things like helping my parents with chores and swimming aren't directly related to worshipping God-but they may give me opportunities for evangelism and extending further from the church "bubble" of overly self-contented christians. In the end I think that faith should be something that transcends the boundaries that we often create in our own minds when we compartmentalize our lives. Faith is not something to be restricted into "Church time" or "Prayer/Devo Time", rather, it should be a driving force that moves all aspects of our lives so that we can glorify God with all that we have.

2 comments:

Dami said...

Your writing always comforts me ALWAYS and it did again hahaha :) which is a good thing

and I thought that the last part
where it says

Faith should be a driving force that moves all aspects of our lives so that we can glorify God with all that we have


I really liked it hehehe

well i guess i'll see you tomorrow take care 'til tomorrow and
God Bless :^ )

J to da P said...

let your passion for Christ be your driving force to all of the "compartmentalized" aspects of your life~

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Polly, ic the Lord at work in u weekly (being that i dont c u daily) lol

it's actully beena while since we've seen u.... AHEM*!

c u this weekend hopefully, stay blessed and remain victorious =)