2.13.2009

Recently one of my friends was rejected from some of the schools he applied to...after he received the rejection letters he told me how frustrated he was and how he didn't really know what God's plan for him on this earth is if his chance to go to college is taken away. My automatic response was to comfort him, reminding him that God will never give us more than we can handle and that when we have salvation in Christ, we are entrusting our lives to God fully and completely in all matters of life. Later I guess I realized that I'm pretty much anxious about the same thing. I don't know what God has in store for me at all, and now that college visiting and all this other stuff is starting to come around during junior year it's all a bit mortifying at first. In considering what areas I would like to pursue in college, I am starting to look at things I could do in either english or art. My parents worry because they say there is no money in either of those studies and their worries start to become my own. Upon deeper reflection I am comforted by the realization that I already one true purpose on this life, which is (always!) to live a life that glorifies Christ and His sacrifice for us on the cross. But even with the commands that Scripture provides us with it's still hard to know what God is calling you to do in order to glorify His name to the best of your own ability...which is why I like this verse alot:

So do not worry, saying ‘What shall we eat’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:31-34 NIV

Not only does this relieve my anxieties about college and the future; but it also reminds me the importance of reading Scripture. Just because you've read Scripture once doesn't mean you've taken it all in. Our memories fade; therefore, constant reinforcement, re-application, and general reflection is what makes Scripture valid in our lives both now and until we stand before Him in judgment.

1 comment:

Stephen Kim said...

It is very easy for the cares of this world to overwhelm us. I like your ending:
"Our memories fade; therefore, constant reinforcement, re-application, and general reflection is what makes Scripture valid in our lives both now and until we stand before Him in judgment."

Keep your eyes upon Jesus.